The Fairmont Area Community Center will be located on the land between State Street and Johnson Street. The lot is next to Mayo Clinic and close to Fairmont Jr/Sr High School.
This site is centrally located within the community and is close to many other community amenities and resources. Additionally, the land is to be donated by MCHS Fairmont, and has basic infrastructure already present which saves on project costs.
The central location will make the Community Center easily accessible to the entire city, while drawing visitors to the parks, restaurants, attractions and other businesses in the heart of the Fairmont.
There is no other nonprofit quite like the Y. That’s because in 10,000 neighborhoods across the nation, we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change.
The Y is community centered. For nearly 160 years, we’ve been listening and responding to our communities.
Bridging the Gaps
The Y brings people together. We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to bridge the gaps in community needs.
The Y nurtures potential. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.
The Y has local presence and national reach. We mobilize local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change.
This is Why
WHAT WE OFFER
- The Y is the leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community by empowering young people, improving the health and well-being of people of all ages, and inspiring action in and across communities.
- The YMCA values caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and is dedicated to giving people of all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life the opportunity to reach their full potential with dignity.
- The YMCA helps people connect to their purpose, potential, and each other.
- The YMCA focuses on youth development and helping young people grow into healthy, thriving adults through supportive education and leadership programs, team sports, and camps.
- The YMCA supports healthy living for all ages, interests, and skill levels through collaboration with the community to bring healthy living within reach to all people.
ICE ARENA HIGHLIGHTS
Fairmont Youth Hockey Association plans to move beyond hockey and provide recreation skating, broomball, figure skating, curling and other ice related activities to the area. The new ice arena won’t just be a space for hockey, it will be a space for everyone.
FYHA provides area youth an opportunity to congregate and be active with friends while cultivating lifelong skills such as teamwork, partnership, positivity, and leadership.
Serving the Area
FYHA serves hundreds of area youth and adults each year, ages 3 and up. In 2020, FYHA was recognized for the promotion and growth of girls hockey in the area!
Opportunity for All
FYHA believes strongly in providing opportunities and possibilities for all area youth. Scholarships are available for hockey players at all age levels.
The Fairmont Youth Hockey Association goals are to provide opportunity for individual players to develop hockey skills at the appropriate age level; to teach good sportsmanship, team support, and the concepts of team play; and to create a winning atmosphere which will promote a love of the game of hockey.
- FYHA began decades ago using outdoor ice. FYHA currently hosts games/practices at Martin County Arena, which has been their home since 1986.
- FYHA provides free hockey equipment and free registration to all first-year hockey players.
- The area has opportunities for other uses when ice is removed.
Contact the Foundation
Members: Amy Long, Fred Krahmer, John Edman, John Kasper, Karin Rosen